Planning & Building - Applications

Development (Planning) Applications

Development applications can now be prepared online at the Lodge an Application page [coming soon]. Alternatively, development applications can be emailed to or delivered to the Shire by hand or post.

All applications must include:

Additional information may be required depending on the proposal.

If you are not sure where to start, take a look at our information brochures and checklists at Guidelines & Information Sheets.

Many types of new development require planning approval from the Shire before commencing, but not all. We understand that this can be confusing and are happy to respond to enquiries and review plans if you have a project or proposal in mind.

Please contact our Planning Services team (Enquiries & Public Consultation) if you need advice on development standards or application requirements.


Building Applications

In addition to any planning approval requirements, most building works also require approval under the Building Code of Australia.

Building approval is a two-step process that includes:

  • Certification that proposed building is consistent with the construction standards of the Building Code; and,
  • Granting of a permit to commence works.

More information is available on our Building Services page.

Building application forms can be found on the website of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation & Safety. Fees and charges are applicable. Applications can be emailed to or delivered to the Shire by hand or post.

Not sure where to start? You can find our information brochures and checklists at Guidelines & Information Sheets.

Please contact our Building Services team if you need advice on building certification or permit applications (see Enquiries & Public Consultation).


Other Applications

Subdivision Applications

Applications to subdivide land are made directly to the Department of Planning, Lands & Heritage. Information about subdivision applications is available on the Department’s website.

Assessment of subdivision proposals is guided by state planning policies as well as the local planning framework, which includes the Shire’s Local Planning Strategy and Town Planning Scheme No. 3. The Shire provides comments and recommendations on subdivision proposals but the responsibility for assessment and decision-making rests with the Department.

Please contact the Department’s Albany regional office on 9892 7333 if you would like advice on subdivision applications and assessment. Enquiries can also be made via email to or online via the Department’s general enquiry form.


Development Assessment Panels

Development Assessment Panels are an independent decision-making body that provide an alternative pathway for the assessment of major development applications.

The Shire reports to and is represented on a Development Assessment Panel but is not the decision maker.

More details about qualifying development applications, the administration process and proposed State Government reforms is available from the Department of Planning, Lands & Heritage. 



A 'crossover' is the area of a property driveway that is within the public road reserve. As this is public land, Shire approval is required before building or upgrading your driveway within the crossover.

For more information or to apply for permission to build a crossover and/or for a crossover subsidy please click here.


See also:

Guidelines & Information Sheets

Local Planning Framework

Enquiries & Public Consultation