Building Services

On this page:

Building Permits

Building permit application forms and information checklists detailing the requirements for lodging a building permit application are available from the Building Services counter at the Shire of Denmark Administration Building or can be downloaded by clicking on the following links:

Building Permit Information

Certified Building Permit Application - BA1

A Certified Building Permit application must be submitted for Class 2 - 9 (commercial), whereas Class 1a and 10 are optional.  The permit application must be accompanied with a Certificate of Design Compliance.

Uncertified Building Permit Application - BA2

An Uncertified Building Permit application is for Class 1a and 10 buildings to be submitted to the permit authority (shire) without a Certificate of Design Compliance.  The our Building Surveyor will assess the proposed development and issue the Certificate of Design Compliance and the Building Permit.

Demolition Permits - BA5

A permit is required for any demolition work, either full or part of a building. The presence of asbestos must be declared on the application form.

Building Approval Certificates - BA13

This can be used in circumstances where an Occupancy Permit is not applicable such as for class 1 and 10 buildings or incidental structures. It provides certainty that a building or incidental structure meets the relevant requirements and can be used to approve retrospectively previously unauthorised work. It can also be used for registration of strata title plans.

Notice of Completion - BA7

A new requirement under the Building Act 11 for Class 1 and 10 is the builder must submit a Notice of Completion within 7 days of finishing the work undertaken with a Building Permit.

The purpose of this Notice of Completion is to establish an end date of the Building Permit, for compliance and record keeping purposes. It also defines the date that the builder has fulfilled their compliance obligations under the Building Act 2012.

Occupancy Permit - BA9

Before a Class 2 - 9 can be occupied, an Occupancy Permit must be obtained from the Permit Authority (Shire of Denmark). It is evidence that a building has been lawfully constructed and is safe to occupy for the use stated on the permit.

An application for an Occupancy Permit must be accompanied by a Certificate of Construction Compliance (for new buildings) or a Certificate of Building Compliance (for existing buildings).

Certificate of Construction Compliance - DS3

A Certificate of Construction Compliance signed by a Registered Building Surveyor certifies that a building has been constructed in accordance with the Certificate of Design Compliance and the Building Permit.

Certificate of Building Compliance - DS3

A Certificate of Building Compliance signed by a Registered Building Surveyor certifies that an existing building complies with applicable building standards.

Please note: Development Approval may be required prior to a building permit application being accepted and issued by the Shire. When applying for a permit, it is necessary to submit two copies of detailed plans and specifications together with the Application.

Search All Documents  Back to Top

Fee Schedules

To determine the fees payable for your application refer to:

For more information about fees, please contact us.

Back to Top

Owner Builders

Owner Builder applications are regulated and administered by the WA Building Commission.
If you intend to owner-build, information and the owner-builder licence application can be found at the link below:

Back to Top

Sewage Treatment Application Information

Download the latest application form from the Department of Health WA for installation of a Sewage Treatment Apparatus (i.e. Septic and Leach drains or Aerobic Treatment Unit) at the link below:

Back to Top

Building Disputes and Complaints

There are avenues to resolve building disputes for both consumers and builders. The WA Building Commission provides this service to parties as an alternative to the commencement of court proceedings. Information and assistance is available at the links below:

Back to Top

Water Corporation Approvals

Approval must be sort from Water Corporation if you are proposing to construct or alter any building that is in an area that is serviced by Water Corporation. They provide information on when notification and/or approval is required. Information is available at the link below:

Back to Top

Swimming Pools

Safety barrier requirements apply to private swimming pools and portable pools. Information is available at the links below:

Back to Top

Useful Links

Contact Us

For additional information or assistance, our Building Services team can be reached at (08) 9848 0300 or

You might also be interested in:

Page Feedback

We want our new website to be as easy as possible to navigate for community members. Your feedback will help us to continue fine-tuning until we have a user-friendly website. If you have some feedback to share about this page - positive or negative - we want to hear it! 

Was this page helpful?

Get Audio Code