Owners of livestock in Denmark are responsible for ensuring their fences and gates are capable of containing their animals within the boundaries of the property.

Livestock wandering onto either public land or other private property may cause accident or injury and owners are liable for any damages. Should rangers be called upon to remove stock from the road or impound livestock the owner will incur poundage fees and an infringement.


Wildlife is managed by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA). The Walpole office can be contacted on 9840 0400 or otherwise please visit the DBCA website

Dealing with snakes

If you come across a snake in or around your house, do not approach or aggravate it in any way. Presume all snakes are venomous and remember that even non-venomous snakes have sharp teeth and can give a painful bite. Keep children and animals away.

Keep an eye on where it is and contact one of the locally trained and licenced volunteer reptile handlers for removal.

  • Levi Freeman:    0467 039949                             
  • Guy House:        0419 954752     

And don't forget to give them a donation for their hard work.

If you can't get in contact with a volunteer reptile handler the Shire Rangers can be called out to catch and relocate a snake on your property.

The below fees and charges apply:

Snake Removal Fees Standard Fees

Pensioner Fees

(50% of Standard Fees)

Call out fee (charged regardless if a snake
found and removed or not) + after hours overtime cost
$30.00 $15.00

Snake removal and relocation (per snake)

Normal hours Mon to Fri 8.30am - 5.00pm
$110.00 $55.00
Saturday $165.00 $82.50
Sunday $220.00 $110.00

Take precautions

Snakes are an integral part of the environment and play an important role in wildlife ecosystems. However, you can discourage snakes and other reptiles from using your property by making your house and garden less attractive to them. The following measures may help to keep reptiles out of your house and garden:

  • Keep the garden and sheds tidy and well-maintained, and prune lower branches off of shrubs to remove places for reptiles to shelter.
  • Keep food scraps/compost in properly covered bins.
  • Block off possible entrances to and access underneath sheds.
  • Block off potential entry points to houses by installing screens on doors and windows and blocking small holes, including those between the roof and ceiling. Fit rubber weather seals under doors to deny access to adult snakes. Remember that snakes can squeeze through surprisingly small gaps.
  • Control rat and mice numbers in and around houses and sheds.
  • Reinforce chicken coops and aviaries to exclude both rodents and large reptiles by covering them completely with mesh that is small enough (<10mm) to stop them from entering - if mice can get in, so could a snake.
  • Keep chicken coops and aviaries clean and hygienic.

If you are bitten, call for medical help immediately – call 000 for an ambulance or get someone to take you to the nearest hospital emergency room. Remain calm and apply pressure to the area. If possible, try to identify the snake so that the correct anti-venom can be given.

Learn the correct treatment for snake bite (first aid information from St John)   Snake Bite Fact Sheet

Give your dog snake avoidance training

Animal Ark Wildlife Education and Training can be contacted on  0466 688188

Some Other Commonly Asked Questions

What do I do if I see a dead kangaroo? 

Report it to Shire of Denmark Ranger Services and arrangements will be made for its removal.

What if I find an injured kangaroo?

Shire of Denmark Ranger Services can assess whether the kangaroo is able to be assisted medically or not. It may have a Joey in which case we will need to give it to a wildlife carer.

What if I have problems with bees ?

Do not upset or stir them. Leave them alone and call a professional.

Can I put out baits or poisons on my property for pests?

Use of 1080 and strychnine is restricted by law and confined to certain areas of the state, for further information visit the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development website

Before using 1080 or strychnine you need to complete appropriate training, ensure you comply with relevant Acts, Regulations and Legislation, and must apply for and obtain the appropriate permit(s) to purchase these chemicals.

To obtain a permit you must demonstrate to your Biosecurity Officer that you understand and can carry out your responsibilities safely, and that your proposed use does not place non-target species at risk.

The Shire of Denmark is not licenced to use baits or poisons all enquries and permit(s) must be sourced from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.

       Picture of a Red Fox and a Rabbit