Fire & Burning Information

To obtain a permit contact your local Fire Control Officer.

Restricted Burning Periods & Permits

Prohibited Burning Period

Under the Bush Fires Act 1954, it is generally an offence to light fires during the Prohibited Burning Time. Penalties of up to $10,000 fine, 12 months’ imprisonment, or both may apply.

Prohibited burning times are as follows:

  • 16th December until 28th February

All burning, including garden refuse, is prohibited during this period.

Camp & cooking fires are prohibited throughout the Shire during this period, except in the below approved locations.

Restricted Burning Period

You must obtain a permit to burn before lighting and follow all permit conditions, Permits are available free of charge by contacting your local Volunteer Fire Control Officer.

All permit holders are required to comply with the requirements of the Bush Fire Act 1954.

Any additional special conditions imposed on the permit holder must also be complied with

Prohibited burning times are as follows:

  • 1st March until 30 April 
  • 1 November until 15 December

Burning Allowed

No permits required, apart from the 1st October onwards ALL standing bush requires a permit

Burning Period:

  • 1 May until 31 October

If you need to conduct a hazard reduction burn on your property because you aren’t able to freely drop your green waste off at the tip, make sure you do the responsible things by;

  • Always being in attendance of your burn
  • Have the ability to contain, control and extinguish your burn. This means You have suitable fire fighting equipment onsite for the duration of the burn.
  • Letting your neighbours know you plan to burn,
  • You aren’t under the influence of any substance,
  • There is more than one person doing the burn,
  • You call the Department of Fire & Emergency Services Communication Centre on 9395 9210 and register prior to lighting your burn. If your burn escapes and causes damage, you may be liable for costs. Bush Fire and Emergency Management

Camp and Cooking Fires (during prohibited periods)

Shire of Denmark Policy P050102

The lighting of fires in the open air for the purpose of camping or cooking during the prohibited burning times, is not permitted unless the fire is:

  • At a person's home (a permanent home or residence must be a building approved by the Shire not a caravan or temporary shed) or,
  • In a area which:
    • Has been purposely set aside by a State Authority or the Shire of Denmark, who is responsible for the care and control of the area;
    • Has a clearly marked sign installed by a State Authority or the Shire of Denmark stating that the area has been set aside for that purpose;
    • All combustible material must be cleared from within a 5m radius of the fire; and
    • The fire danger rating on that day must indicate less than "Very High

The fire must be:

  • Contained within a purpose-built structure of brick or rocks and mortar, or
  • Contained within a purpose-built steel container recognisable as a properly constructed barbecue, or
  • Is a sand fire pit structure, suitable for a camp fire or cooking fire, that has a maximum diameter of 1 metre and a minimum depth of 30cm

Approved locations:

  • Riverbend Caravan Park: 40 Riverbend Lane Denmark
  • Boat Harbour Chalets: 171 Boat Harbour Road Parryville
  • Parry Beach Caravan Park
  • Denmark Boating and Angling Club, Parry Beach
  • Peaceful Bay Caravan Park

Burning of Garden Refuse

Shire of Denmark Policy P050101

  • No burning of garden refuse is permitted during the restricted burning time (RBT) without a permit
  • No burning of garden refuse is permitted throughout the entire prohibited burning time (PBT)
  • All garden refuse that is burnt is to be thoroughly dry (not green) so as not to cause a smoke nuisance to neighboring properties.

Total Fire Bans & Vehicle Movement Bans

Total Fire Ban (TFB)

A Total Fire Ban is declared by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services when a fire is likely to spread rapidly (due to extreme fire weather) or if widespread fires are already burning and firefighting resources are stretched.

You must notify the Department of Fire and Emergency Services and the Shire of any at risk work taking place outside during a Total Fire Ban, you are required to do this by completing the TFB Prescribed Activities – Online Notification Form

What can't you do?

On a Total Fire Ban day you are not allowed to light an open-air fire or conduct any activity that could start a fire. This includes lighting a campfire, using a welder, grinder or incinerator, conducting a burn-off, burning leaves and garden waste, firing up a wood or charcoal BBQ, using a wood-fired pizza oven, driving a vehicle in fire-prone areas and more.

What are the penalties for breaching a Total Fire Ban?

When you breach a Total Fire Ban you not only put people's lives and properties in danger, but you could also face a $1,000 on-the-spot fine. And, if it's a serious breach, you could be fined up to $25,000 and even receive jail time of up to 12 months

TFBs are announced on the DFES website, on ABC Radio and the DFES Twitter feed, you can find out more about TFBs by visiting the DFES Website

Harvest and Vehicle Movement Ban (HVMB)

A Harvest and Vehicle Movement Ban is a ban that individual local governments are responsible for issuing under the Bush Fires Regulations 1954.  The ban will be imposed when the Bushfire Control Officer is of the opinion that the use of engines, vehicles, plant or machinery during the prohibited burning times or the restricted burning times or both is likely to cause a fire or contribute to the spread of a bushfire.

The responsibility remains on the individual to ensure that any activity undertaken is not likely to start a fire and that a Harvest and Vehicle Movement Ban is currently not in place in their local government area.

Permits to Burn

During the Restricted Burning Period permits are available free of charge by contacting your Local Volunteer Fire Control Officers

Permits to burn are issued subject to certain conditions which are listed on the permit. Failure to comply with all of these conditions may result in a fine of $250.  All permit holders must comply with the requirements of the Bush Fire Act 1954.

Please consider your neighbours when undertaking a burn and make sure that smoke doesn't drift onto roads causing a traffic hazard.

Hazard Reduction Burning on Private Property

Land owners can contact their local brigade to assist them in conducting a hazard reduction burn on their land for a fee.

Appliance  Hourly Rate
Light Tanker $50.00 inc GST
1.4 Rural Tanker $65.00 inc GST
2.4 Rural/Urban Tanker $81.00 inc GST
3.4/4.4 Rural/Urban Tanker $90.00 inc GST

Bush Fire Brigade Districts

The map below shows the volunteer bush fire brigade boundaries in the Shire of Denmark


The Shire of Denmark will endeavour to communicate when a ban is imposed. However it is the responsibility of individuals to check if bans are in place before engaging in any activity that may be prohibited for the duration of the ban.

Total Fire Bans will be communicated via ABC local radio 630 AM

If you are a farmer or a contractor and would like to register to receive a notification by SMS of Harvest or Vehicle Movement Bans you can 

complete the online form 

The information provided above is an overview of the Shire of Denmark's directions regarding burning, residents must refer to the Firebreak and Fuel Management Notice 2021/2022 for further information on their responsibilities to ensure that they are compliant.