Town Planning Scheme No. 3 Information
Town Planning Scheme No. 3 (TPS3) applies to the entire Shire and is the primary statutory planning instrument against which development is guided and controlled. TPS 3 was gazetted on 25th March 1994.
TPS 3 provides clear, concise and current planning controls to guide future development and to best serve the needs of the community. The objectives of TPS 3 are to:
- to reserve land used or likely to be used for public or community purpose;
- to protect the alignment of proposed roads and road widening from appropriate developments;
- to zone land for various purposes in order to promote orderly and proper development of the shire;
- to provide for the protection of the natural environment and landscape from inappropriate development;
- to recognise and protect buildings and places of importance to the townscape and cultural heritage;
- to provide for such development as is required to accommodate the lifestyles appropriate to the area;
- to set aside as reserves for public use land required for active or passive recreational purposes;
- to provide a framework to facilitate the broadening of the economic base of the scheme area;
- to protect the natural resources of the region, particularly the rural land from inappropriate use and development; and
- to provide for the subdivision and development of land in a manner suited to the economic activity of the region.
TPS 3 is complemented by a suite of Planning Policies that seek to provide the Council, Planning Services staff and the community with direction on those matters where the local government may exercise discretion.
Town Planning Scheme No. 3 (text and maps) can be downloaded from the Department of Planning’s website –
For additional information or assistance, please feel free to contact Planning Services on (08) 9848 0313 or call in to the Administration Building at 953 South Coast Highway, Denmark.