Supporting Local Business
LOCAL BUSINESS DIRECTORY
The Denmark Chamber of Commerce produces a Denmark & Districts Business and Community Directory. You can visit the Denmark Chamber of Commerce's website at www.denmarkchamber.com.au.
SUPPORTING LOCAL BUSINESS
Council has a number of Policies and Procedures in place which aim to support local business and ensure transparency and ethical behaviour when purchasing goods and services.
It is a common occurrence for Council Staff to be asked to provide contact details and/or recommendations regarding local suppliers and/or contractors. Council encourages the provision of this information in the interest of customer service however Staff take great care to avoid recommending one supplier/contractor over another. Generally the enquirer will be referred to the Denmark Chamber of Commerce's Business Directory and in the case of tourist related information, to the Denmark Visitor Centre.
To learn more about the Code of Conduct that provides guidance to all local government employees at the Shire of Denmark regarding ethical behaviour and disclosures of interest, you can download a copy of the Officers & Elected Members Code of Conduct.
REGIONAL PRICE PREFERENCE POLICY
The following Council Policy provides price preference to regional suppliers tendering for contracts with Council.
- Price preference will apply to all tenders invited by Council for the supply of goods and services and construction (building) services, unless Council resolves that this policy not apply to a particular tender.
- The following levels of preference will be applied under this policy:
- Goods and Services up to a maximum price reduction of $50,000 10% to businesses located within the Shire of Denmark 5% to businesses located within the City of Albany and Shires of Plantagenet and the Walpole Ward of the Shire of Manjimup.
- Construction (Building) Services up to a maximum price reduction of $50,000. 5% to businesses located within the Shire of Denmark 2.5% to businesses located within the City of Albany and Shires of Plantagenet and the Walpole Ward of the Shire of Manjimup.
- Goods and Services, including Construction (Building) Services up to a maximum price reduction of $500,000, if Council is seeking tenders for the provision of those goods or services for the first time, due to those goods or services having been, until then, undertaken by Council. 10% to businesses located within the Shire of Denmark 5% to businesses located within the City of Albany and the Shire of Plantagenet and the Walpole Ward of the Shire of Manjimup.
- The levels of preference outlined in 2 above, will only apply to businesses that have been located within the local government areas specified for at least 6 months prior to the closing date of tenders.
- Only those goods or services identified in the tender as being from regional sources will be included in the discounted calculation that forms a part of the assessment of a tender.
- It should be noted that price is only one of the factors to be assessed when Council decides to accept the tender it thinks would be the most advantageous to accept.
Council has adopted a Purchasing Policy to:
- Provide compliance with the Local Government Act 1995 and the Local Government (Functions and General) Regulations 1996;
- Deliver a best practice approach and procedures to internal purchasing for the Shire of Denmark; and
- ensure consistency for all purchasing activities that integrates within all the Shire of Denmark operational areas.
Download a copy of the Council's Policy Manual and refer to Policy P040220.
RETAIL TRADING HOURS EXEMPTION ORDER
The following exemption, effective from 1 January 1994, applies to general retail shops in the Town of Denmark.
Extended Trading Hours
Section 12 of the Retail Trading Hours Act 1987 does not apply to the general retail shops specified in Column 1 of the Schedule on the days or during the hours specified opposite and corresponding to those general retail shops in Column 2 of the Schedule.
|Schedule 1 - General Retail Shops||Schedule 2 - Days and Hours of Exemption|
|General Retail Shops in the Town of Denmark
||Any day between the hours of 8.00am and 9.00pm
You’re Welcome – AccessWA is a West Australian access guide for people with disability and seniors.
People with disability, carers and seniors can search to find accessible business and community facilities in Western Australia. Access information can assist people of all ages and abilities, including people who use a wheelchair, have difficulty walking or who are blind or deaf.
If you would like to include your business on the Access WA - You're Welcome database please contact the Executive Assistant at the Shire of Denmark on email email@example.com or telephone (08) 9848 0300.